Interesting to read conservatives at the Institute of Public Affairs suggesting the Liberal National Party coalition needs to ‘be like Gough‘ if they get a full majority of power in both the lower and upper houses of Parliament at the upcoming federal election.
Of course, they don’t mean the LNP should suddenly back-flip and start actually supporting free education and healthcare for Australian citizens or any of the many other positive, progressive policies brought about during the brief Whitlam era. Instead they only encourage transforming the country with the same speed and vigour Whitlam did, but this time to the detriment of the average tax payer, for the benefit of the super rich.
You can see the full list of 75 suggested changes on their website, but I will share a few of those I think clearly represent the dangers of current extremist policy trend among ‘conservative’ circles in Australia.
- Close Department of Industry, Innovation, Science, Research and Tertiary Education
- Halt construction of the National Broadband Network
- Privatise Australia Post
- Privatise CSIRO
- Privatise Medibank
- Privatise SBS
- Privatise the Snowy-Hydro Scheme
- Privatise the Australian Institute of Sport
- Repeal the Fair Work Act Continue reading 75 Ideas to Transform Australia (Response to the IPA)