Terra Nullius, a convenient lie.
Taught it in our schools, yet we wondered why
when Indigenous girls broke down and cried.
We were NEVER taught the price in Indigenous lives.
The reality of it was invasion and genocide,
and even language couldn’t survive the genocide;
of six hundred dialects, less than two hundred survive.
Terra Nullius, a convenient ‘white lie’.
But Tony Abbott still dropping the line,
Coz who gives a fuck about the truth anyway right?
How to distract people from the fact you have cut $534 million from Indigenous programs? Make a statement about Australia not being ‘settled’ before ‘white man’ came along. Call the British invasion a “foreign investment”. It was actually genocide.
He pretty just threw progress on Indigenous reconcilliation in Federal politics all the way back to Terra Nullius – no man’s land. I thought that had been committed to the scrap heap of history for good. It should have been.
I actually don’t know whether Tony Abbott is simply a moron, or whether the many ‘fumbles’ we are seeing are actually a cunning disguise for winding back progress.
How do you distract people from their almost overwhelming rejection of the current Liberal Party’s first budget? Return the debate to foreigners, by handing refugees back to the people they were running from, in this case Sri Lanka.
Is this just Liberal Party stupidity, or is it an actual strategy? A strategy to keep the discussion focused on some kind of ‘other’, from which their predominantly white, middle/upper-class support base should be ‘scared’ for some reason.
Divide socially progressive people from the rest by switching the debate away from the subject we are all agreeing on.
It’s worked well for the Liberal Party in the past, but we are in a new age now.
Episode 6 of the (un) Common Sense Podcast is now available!
This episode of the podcast includes:
- Interview with Ebony blogger, IndigenousX star and travelling unicorn lady!
- Indigenous Digital Excellent (IndigenousDX) and why she’s doing a vlog
- Indigenous X and misconceptions about Indigenous women
- Electioneering & Refugee policy in Australia
- Gov’t leak proposes ‘Boot Camp’ for the unemployed
- Spend your $2.49 (vote) wisely this election
- Barnett forced council mergers plan
- Only 27 new beds at new children’s hospital
- Pine Gap used to direct US drone strikes
- Concerns about 250 Marines currently in Darwin & future increase to 2500
- US to deploy fighter jets around Asia & Australia
Continue reading Podcast EP6 – Refugees & Electioneering + Ebs ‘The Travelling Unicorn’
Episode 2 of the podcast is now available!
Download or listen now: (un) Common Sense Podcast Episode 2
Issues covered in this episode of the podcast include:
- Interview with Luke Pearson founder of Indigenous X
- Curation-rotation and promoting a diversity of Indigenous voices
- Anti-racism, dispelling myths (see: not racist but) and safely handling situations
- Indigenous empowerment, sovereignty and constitutional recognition
- Protests erupt on the streets of Brazil
- MSS Security Screeners in WA locked out for demanding equal pay to Vic workers
- Howard Sattler sacked for trolling PM Julia Gillard about partners sexuality
- Voting rules in Australia and why your vote Senate vote is important
Some additional resources that go with this episode: Continue reading Podcast 2: Howard Sattler, Brazil Protests and Luke Pearson of Indigenous X