Episode 8 of the (un) Common Sense Podcast is now available! This week’s episode focuses entirely on the Barnett Government’s cuts to education in Western Australia. Luke speaks with local Society and Environment Teacher Mark, about the implications of these cuts. Topics discussed include:
- The role of an Education Assistant in the classroom environment
- The importance of Education Assistants to special needs students
- Likely impact of losing 500 Full-Time Equivalent Education Assistant jobs
- Peter Collier & Colin Barnett back-flipping on pre-election promise there would be ‘no job losses’ in public sector.
- Risk of super-sizing schools
- Importance of culture and community within a school
- Likelihood of further cuts to Education under a Liberal Government
Continue reading Episode 8: Education Cuts in Western Australia
Today I received one of the abhorrent Liberal party flyers going around the nation which dehumanise and demonise refugees by continually associating their arrival via boat with the term “illegal”. Clearly a political stunt aimed at exacerbating public ‘fear of the other’ at the expense of genuine refugees, in the hope of scoring political points.
Yep, that’s bad. But the story gets worse. The flyer I received was printed by Worldwide Online Printing, who no doubt have made a profit in the process. That is to say, they directly profited from a POLITICAL FLYER which demonises refugees and was delivered to my home.
I have a problem with people profiting off creating further misery for people who are fleeing persecution, so I went over to Worldwide‘s Facebook page and left the following reasonable criticism (mind the typos, I was a little worked up):
Continue reading The Liberal Party & Worldwide Online Printing – Demonising Refugees